Given the rarity and value of the PGM’s used in catalytic converters, has anything been done to find a cheaper solution?
Platinum group metals are some of the rarest minerals on earth, with high resistance to heat and properties of incredible strength that makes them key components for the making of catalytic converters.
We estimate that catalytic converters fitted inside a car exhaust pipe can convert more than 90% of HC, CO and NO from an engine into less harmful carbon dioxide (CO2), nitrogen and water vapour.
Unfortunately, nothing has been done to find a cheaper solution, which makes the recovery of PGM’s even more important.
- What is a catalytic converter?
- What is the catalyst of a catalytic converter?
- What is the difference between “oxidation” and “three-ways’ converters?
- Can a bad catalytic converter cause a car to overheat? what causes a converter to become red hot?
- What causes a catalytic converter to become clogged?
Still need help ?
Contact our 24/7 support.